It is easy to ignore Dallas plumbing problems, especially those that do not seem to cause too much trouble. The truth is that you may be paying for water you are not using. You may be putting up with inconveniences that will only get worse. There are some symptoms to look for in evaluating your plumbing needs.
1. You have to use the plunger on your stool often. Your septic system might be clogged with tree roots or your septic tank might need to be pumped out. The problem could be as simple as a design flaw. The plumbing might have been designed in such a way that there are too many sharp turns for sufficient release of the waste.
2. Your faucets screech when you turn them on. This means you have air in the lines. It might have happened as a result of a water main break where your water was shut off for a time. On the other hand, there is a system in the plumbing that is made specifically to bleed off air. This may not be functioning properly.
3. You have low water pressure. If you have old galvanized pipes, they may be clogged full of residue and sediment. Another scenario is a home with pipe diameters that are not adequate to carry the water well. You may also have a leak. If it is on your side of the water meter, you are losing money every minute the water pours through the crack.
4. Your drains gurgle. Water is supposed to go down and air is supposed to be vented out for the drains to work correctly. If the vent is plugged or broken, the water goes down a bit, the air bubbles up, and only then can the water go down some more.
5. Your drains smell bad. The P-trap is likely the culprit when you have stinky drains. This drain allows the water to drain through, leaving a small amount of water in the P-trap to provide a barrier against odors. If it a case that the drain has not been used for a long time, it might just be that the P-trap water has evaporated. Try running a little water down the drain to refill the trap.
6. Water leaks out of your faucets when you turn them on but not when they are turned off. The likely plumbing problem here is that you need new o-rings or washers. It is an easy and inexpensive repair.
Watch for the tell-tale signs that your Dallas plumbing is not up to par. When you have a problem that needs to be repaired, fix it right away. It may be a small repair or a major overhaul, but taking care of it will make your life much more comfortable.